Ukrainian citizenship by birth
Foreigners, who have a child born in Ukraine, often use this method for getting Ukrainian citizenship for this child.
The simplest way is getting citizenship by birth:
- a person, who was born on the territories of Ukraine from the foreigners, who legitimately resided in Ukraine on a continuous basis, is entitled to get Ukrainian citizenship;
- Ukrainian citizenship law says that whenever a parent of a person is a Ukrainian national or was a Ukrainian national at the moment that person was born, this person is entitled to the citizenship of Ukraine;
- in addition to that, the people, whose parents are stateless persons, legitimately residing in Ukraine are entitled to Ukrainian citizenship;
- children born in Ukraine from the refugees, who had residency permits in Ukraine, are Ukrainian citizens.
- finally, a child born in Ukraine from a stateless person or a foreigner, who had permits (i.e., visa) for staying in Ukraine, is a Ukrainian citizen.
It is important that a person, who meets one of the requirements listed above, is legally a Ukrainian citizen, from the moment of birth. However, in contrast to the situations when a child’s parents are 100% Ukrainian nationals, Ukrainian citizenship law says that a child born from the foreigners does not become a citizen automatically. In practice, citizenship is given through the confirmation procedure, which usually takes 4-6 months (our practice shows it is possible to finish this process in 2-3 months). Once the nationality is confirmed, a child may get a passport, allowing him to leave and then come back to Ukraine without a visa.
An essential advantage of getting Ukrainian citizenship for a child is that the child’s parents become entitled to a permanent residence permit, allowing them to enter/leave Ukraine, work, and study here without any restrictions. A permanent residence permit is the most crucial step to becoming a Ukrainian citizen for the parents of a child.
Ukrainian immigration bureau experts are here to assist. Legal matters, and especially immigration issues, can be very complicated, but our specialists are ready to help inform you of all aspects regarding your case. It’s a great pleasure for us in using our experience for you and we look forward to hearing from you.